2011년 8월 8일 월요일

The first day of WARC (June 20)





I don't remember when was the last time my parents walked or even drove me to the school. I guess that's how grown-up I am already:( But today was different. Our host dad walked Shalini and me to WARC in the morning like we were little kids. It took us about 40 minutes to get to WARC and only things that bothered both of us were pollution and how people stare at us since we were only foreigners on the street. Either on the second or the third day, Madam Briere told us how the cars in Senegal are from Europe. The cars that are sent from Europe are in really bad conditions since those are sent at the point where it can't be driven in Europe anymore. No wonder the pollution, especially from cars, is so bad in Senegal. It's so bad that you can't even breathe right due to dust in the throat. What's even worse is that cars in Senegal are driven with windows open since AC doesn't work, which means that Senegalese are exposed to the bad air no matter whether you are in the car or out on the street if you can't afford to buy a new car with a full AC system.  
I don't know what Senegalese or Europeans have to say about this problem but I see Europeans( those who sell very poor quality cars to Senegalese) as very selfish.  To me it seems like those Europeans are trying to make profit out of the cars that they want to get rid of with an excuse that many Senegalese can't afford to buy decent cars and that they are rather helping people in Senegal to have and drive cars. It's not just about cars. One of the main problems in Senegal is smoking. Unlike in the states where cigaretts are really expensive, its like $1 in Senegal. The cigarettes companies are dumping all the left-over products in African country including Senegal and selling them in really cheap price to promote more people to smoke become addicted to it.
I know it is wrong to make conclusions from my shallow knowledge and thoughts but I don't see the difference between the slave trade and what's going on in Senegal now with the cars and the cigarettes. Just because African countries are less modernized, less developed, and have less power compare to the western countries doesn't mean that they can be looked down upon. We learn about the history to some extent to not to repeat the same mistakes again; however, I guess it's different when it comes to making profit in materialistic world.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기